Pages

They call me (Dead-Eye)... not really but I like it so...

Welcome to Dedi's place. This is a where you will find the mild ravings of a mad woodworker, some fishy tales, tasty recipes, and some good generalized BS.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sunday I took 2 pieces to the State Fair of Texas, "Boot with Flowers" Intarsia piece and a box I call "Snake Heads".

 "Boot with Flowers" I had given  to my sister-in-law as a gift, for always being such a great lady, supporting and encouraging me in my Mothers fight with cancer. It's one of my favorite works I have made. It has 11 different woods and is very dimensional... to me it sort of pops off the wood. Of course she was thrilled to let me have it back and enter it in the fair, I do have some expectation that it will ribbon but you never know. It is made from Walnut, Padauk, Hard Maple, Mahogany, Poplar, Bubinga, Yellow-heart, Purple-heart, Aspen, Aromatic Cedar, and Western Red Cedar.


"Snake Heads" is a band saw box. It is cut out on a band saw from 1 chunk of wood actually I laminated 5 quarter-sawn White Oak boards to get my chunk. This is a very easy way to make a box and the shapes are basically unlimited. You can see from one of my first blogs another band-saw box. I entered this in the fair as I felt it was pretty unique.The drawers are lined with red flocking it was on our fireplace mantle but will probably put it up for sale after the fair.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate and review all comments so your post may not be immediatly available.